- Central Services
- Sustainable Purchasing
It is important to the City that we consider the environmental and health effects of products from their whole life cycle, and to be aware of the impacts they might have on our community and ecosystem.
The City seeks to buy products and services that have a low impact on human health and the environment, and that support communities and economies.
Efforts are guided by city-wide initiatives and policies that are aimed at:
- reducing waste and greenhouse gas emissions;
- increasing reuse and recycling;
- maintaining the health of residents, and;
- supporting fair competition.
For more information on sustainable business practices, please email City of Eugene Purchasing or call 541-682-5055.
The City of Eugene is committed to promoting a sustainable future that meets today’s needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs.
We are interested in doing business with vendors who consider the long-term impacts within their industry and are proactive in maximizing sustainable practices. The business community plays an important role in educating the City of potential innovations. Vendors are encouraged to make the City aware of advances within their profession. Our solicitation process offers various ways for vendors to display their efforts. At times we will specify sustainable requirements within a purchase, like indicating that a product must be third party certified. In other solicitations, we are interested in a proposer’s sustainable performance and require demonstration of sustainability efforts. These efforts may include:
- Alternative transportation practices
- Energy efficiencies
- Community support for underserved populations
- Third party environmental certifications, such as LEED, Green Seal, and Energy Star
- Reduce, reuse, and recycle strategies
- Water conservation measures
- Mission-related sustainability practices
- Life Cycle Analysis or total cost of ownership data
The Purchasing Office includes a sustainability section within our competitive solicitations. The sustainability section relays our intentions to work with vendors who can assist us in some of our efforts to reduce waste, decrease greenhouse gas emissions, encourage the use of environmentally preferred products, and promote social equity.